The Best of Frida Kahlo
1. I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.
2. I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.
3. They thought I was a Surrealist, but I wasn’t. I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality.
4. I think that little by little I’ll be able to solve my problems and survive.
5. At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.
6. Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.
7. You deserve the best, the very best, because you are one of the few people in this lousy world who are honest to themselves, and that is the only thing that really counts.
8. I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.
9. My painting carries with it the message of pain.
1. Pain, pleasure and death are no more than a process for existence. The revolutionary struggle in this process is a doorway open to intelligence.
1. I am my own muse, I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to know better.